COLOR THEORY // EPISODE 102 COLOR THEORY // EPISODE 102

Nice job guys! I love the fight scenes, and the timing was most definitely improved this time around. Can't wait for ep 3!

:the Composer: :the Composer:

This review is a sort of aftermath of thoughts, after I've thought about, forgotten, and rediscovered this a while later. I initially rated this 5 last year, and this is my full review.

As a music guy myself, I very much appreciated the work that went into the composition, even though calling it classical isn't accurate imo. However, some of the middle parts sound kind of amateur-ish, meaning some of the piano felt like the transitions, melodies, etc were a little rushed sounding. I generally hate using the word "amateur" because of how pretentious it sounds, but to be fair this whole video came off like that itself, at least a little. However, I feel like that is inevitable pretty much no matter how you address this kind of story, so I won't hold too much of a grudge on it.

The animation is a little stiff, but with overall very detailed, great looking frames. However, there's something about the art style that doesn't entirely work for me, and I think it might be the color palette being a bit too dark, along with some personal preference stuff that I won't let hinder my objective rating. As difficult as it is to portray this kind of emotion in about 4 1/2 minutes, I feel that the beginning maybe should've been a little bit more fleshed out, because it comes off pretty vague and cliche. Speaking of timing, the pacing feels slightly rushed, almost as if this could've and honestly should've been about twice as long to really show the story better without it being so simple.

I not really the kind of person who likes to be this cynical all the time, but I'm trying to offer my thoughts. Overall this an absolutely magnificent work, no matter how old it is, and I wish you the best luck in the future!

Demo Reel Demo Reel

You are a great animator, and a pleasure to work with!

Wondermeow responds:

To kind mate, your music was epic lots more collabs between us to follow ^^.

Kind regards,

Wondermeow

Colossal Cave (Unfinished) Colossal Cave (Unfinished)

Simple but nice concept, reminds me a lot of Rock Raiders. :) Inspiration by any chance?

GuyUngerNL responds:

hahah, absolutely.
I was obsessed with that game when I was little

The Last Stand. The Last Stand.

Absolutely fantastic, classic flash game. I remember playing this game several years back, and its even better than I remember it. (Possibly because I'm ridiculously bad at it anymore. ;))

Kudos the people behind this, and I wish them prosperous careers and lives!

Pixel Land Pixel Land

This is pretty decent for an in-progress game. However there are some noticeable flaws that should be fixed by the time the game is finished.

For example, the visual production quality of the whole thing is noticeably low. Things like font choices and a somewhat inconsistent aesthetic break the immersion of the game. You should attempt to further refine the design of the game. Also, the aesthetic itself comes off as more cheap or "first game" looking than retro. This can easily be fixed by adding a bit more detail to the sprites. Also, no offense, but the pseudo-Mario look kind of works against the rest of the game, as once again it makes it cheap-looking. The level sprites need more variation.

The audio production quality, as it should be for a retro game, is low. However, you should maybe consider equalizing the audio (a lot of noises are too much louder or quieter than the others), and perhaps add some chip tune music in the background. More sound effects are also needed, for things like exiting levels and maybe even random growls and such from enemies.

But drop all of that for a second, let's talk about the actual gameplay. The control are solid enough, though a bit slippery. This probably isn't going to make anyone ragequit anytime soon, but be careful not to turn it into a cheap cause of death during long jumps in the levels. Speaking of the levels, the level design is meh at best. The problem is that you're playing too safe with the player. Try to include more complex design like back tracking or different sections (think like the pipes leading underground from the surface in Super Mario Bros.) The enemies in the game are very generic looking, and need more detail so that they don't look like placeholders for the final enemies. Everything feels bland, repetitive, and rushed and/or poorly made.

Overall, for the moment it is a more bad-mediocre experience than anything else. Try to add some unique gameplay features to separate the game from the hundreds of popular platformers, so that it may have a better chance of getting some recognition.

Good luck with your game and I wish you success in making it a great game :)

Night Raid - Listen Night Raid - Listen

A good basis of a song, sounds a little unfinished imo like it needs some extra fill with an extra melody or intrument. Abrupt ending kinda kills the mood, guitar at the beginning sounds pretty shaky.
Vocalist is very good, other musicians sound fine, just feels like the song is missing something.

I don't know if you plan on revising this song or not, but in its current state its decent. Good luck on future stuff! :)

-StreetWise- -StreetWise-

Sweet! Awesome beat and awesome synth sounds.

Horton hears a hoe Horton hears a hoe

Ehhh pretty messy but cool concept i guess

Waterfall photo study Waterfall photo study

Nice colors/shading, but I feel that it's weirdly blurry. I think it would look better you added another layer with more defined edges if that makes sense. Otherwise though, nice job! :)